Monday, February 21, 2005

Hanoi (North Vietnam)

Hi All,

Its Lorelle here. I feel priviliged that Dave has let me write on our blog again. :)

I am still slightly sick since the Mekong Delta, so my plan to try authentic experimental vietnamese cuisine has been put on hold for the moment. (Bread and beer is as far as I am going).

We are now in North Vietnam and the climate here is the total opposite to the South. It is as cold here as a very cold Melbourne winter's day. Dave and I were not prepared for this and we are wearing almost everything in our suitcase. I have on 5 tops and two pairs of socks!

Hanoi is a pleasant relief after the South. It is very clean and civilised. Hanoi is like a little city in France (the French used to rule here so the architecture is very French). It has beautiful little streets, full of little shops, and great cafe's scattered everywhere. It is very relaxed here although still busy with motorbikes everywhere.

Tonight will be our 4th night in Hanoi as we cant get a flight out. It is the end of the Vietnamese New Year (Tet) and everyone and their dog is flying out of here at the moment. Just as well there are great cafe's & bars. Dave and I have found some great places with very interesting cuisine. Yesterday one of the places we went to served, ' Bull Penis and testicles steamed with Chinese herbs' - YUM!

I did the most stupid thing when we arrived in Hanoi and left my bank card in an ATM at the airport. Yes, I was very tired. No money was taken out of my account though. Looks like Dave is paying for the rest of the holiday...Ha Ha. We have decided to skip Halong Bay as it is too cold and we are running out of time to get back down to Saigon. Tomorrow we are off to Hoi An. Hopefully it is a bit warmer so I can take some of these layers off!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Guy's, Quiffer here,
Great to read you are having such a good time os.
I picked up the PA on the Monday after the wedding as I couldn't get in on the Sunday. Sorry I wasn't here to chat with you when you were in Hanoi Dave, I was disapointed but happy to recive your greeting. Oh well keep having fun and we'll see you both soon.
Regards,
The Anonymous Quiff.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
Is great to see what you have been up to, hope you are feeling ok Lorelle. Hanoi was one of my favourite places, was very overcast when we were there but not as cold by the sounds of things. The forecast looks ok for the rest of the week.
Enjoy Hoi Ann - make sure you have plenty of AUD $1 coins - the kids call them gold kangaroos!
See you soon
xo erica and mark

Anonymous said...

Hi guys great to hear all is going well. Lorelle hope you back is feeling good.
All is well on the plant front. They miss you, but i have explained that Lorelle is now the love of your life and she will need lots of water along with TLC.

Love to you both Quirks.

Anonymous said...

I love the smell of matrimony in the morning!
one day this honeymoon's gonna end...
anonymous snifflers

Anonymous said...

Hey, don't forget Sniffler Productions is itching to put together an adult edit of the Big Mac wedding ... or as its known in the biz... the Ghi5
and for your flu Lorelle... take it from the Snifflers, be sure to eat plenty of agent oranges...
Love
the Snifflers

this comment was brought to you, by Kleenex